Reflection on a Trip Around the Sun
Well, I’m one year older today, so I have been thinking since this morning about the last year, and what I have done in it. It seems to be the correct time.
In the last year I have:
- Passed the Written Preliminary Exam, allowing me to continue pursuing a Ph.D degree in computer science at the University of Minnesota.
- Completed 16 hours of classes towards my degree, with a GPA of 3.78 in those classes.
- Was a Teaching Assistant for three classes, available to over 200 students.
- Paid $7,980.00 in rent at my apartment, approximately 51% of my total expected income in a year.
- Bought a new iBook 12” laptop and for the first time, put myself into debt which is not school-related.
- Had the first romantic relationship in my life since 1999.
- Started writing in LiveJournal, thanks to silvrayn.
- Contributed +1242 -724 lines of changes to the open source software project BitTorrent
- Started one of the top sites for Anime via BitTorrent, whose torrents have transferred approximately 399.1 TB of Anime to the masses from 21 different fansubbing groups.
- Discovered that I like DDR and am actually not bad at it, most likely to the chagrin of the people in the apartment below me.
- Drank more alcohol than I had in my entire life before this day last year.
- Submitted a paper to two conferences, and got rejected from both.
- Watched more Anime than anyone else I know.
- Started a diet and successfully lost 41 pounds to date.
Some of these I regard as accomplishments. Some are things I should fix in the future. Some I’m kind of indifferent about.